Megan Alter is a native Midwesterner who moved to Iowa City in 1995. Arriving here for graduate school, she found home and couldn’t bear to leave. For nearly 25 years, Megan has increasingly dedicated herself to bettering the community for all.
Megan volunteers her time and talent through service and activism. She has worked with families and different service agencies throughout the city, and incorporates that service into her work at ACT.
Megan decided to run for City Council because she appreciates where we are…and knows we can do better.
Today we are at a crossroads. Iowa City is booming. With this growth comes the need to envision and plan for a more inclusive, equitable, and thriving community five months, five years, and twenty-five years down the road.
Creating Iowa City’s Future Now
Megan and husband Duane moved to the South District in 2006. Their children, Christopher and Andrea, attend Alexander Elementary. The entire family appreciates the quality of life here, and Megan is committed to building an equitable future for all residents.
As a member of the City Council, Megan Alter will:
- Creative innovative and inclusive affordable housing
- Improve public transportation routes and efficiency so residents can easily reach workplaces, supermarkets, and our parks
- Increase affordable and accessible child care
- Promote environmental sustainability to combat climate change
- Advance social and racial justice
- Encourage community improvements and development to foster small businesses, walkability, and neighborhood beautification
- Make the City of Iowa City a model employer, promoting policies designed to attract and retain the highest quality staff in city departments
Community Builder and Passionate about Iowa City
A few highlights of Megan Alter’s commitment to our community:
- Commissioner, Housing and Community Development Commission for City of Iowa City
- Iowa Women’s Foundation, Community Engagement Committee and Advocacy Group
- Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters: five years and counting!
- ACT United Way annual fundraising drive
- ACT Corporate Giving Committee
- American Heart Association Community Engagement and Go Red for Women Luncheon
- South District Neighborhood Association, Black Voices Project
- Johnson County Affordable Housing Coalition
- Mentor, Women in Business (Tippie College of Business)
- LGBTQ ally
- Manager at ACT
- PhD, University of Iowa (2004; British Literature)
So, Just Who is Megan Alter?
Way back in the day, Megan overcame her fear of heights to dive competitively at a collegiate level, earning All-American status on the 3-meter springboard. To accomplish this, Megan was disciplined, passionate, and determined to succeed in spite of initial failures. Those experiences shaped her character. Today, Megan is committed to work for a more far-reaching goal: to represent the community and build an Iowa City that works for all. She will bring the tenacity, passion, and discipline needed to serve on the Council.
Megan and her family enjoy grilling out, playing at Wetherby splash pad and swimming at City Park Pool, going to the library, and rescuing feral and stray cats. They are huge Hawkeye football and wrestling fans. GO HAWKS!